Recently, I overheard a coworker exclaim, “Can you believe there’s an app to use if you get arrested!” I was dumbfounded that such an app existed, but apparently the Occupy Wall Street movement led to its creation. John Van Anden developed this Android app so that with one click, your lawyer, friends and family members are alerted that you’re being arrested.
I don’t plan to download this app, as I can’t imagine ever needing it. Plus, if I were to ever be arrested I can’t imagine having the presence of mind to unlock my phone and click the app button.
Knowing this app exists made me wonder what other unusual or useless apps are on the market. So, after a little research online, here’s my top 5 list:
1. Hold On! – As the name implies, this app displays a button and you simply “hold on.” If you’ve run out of ways to waste time, this app is for you!
2. iSteam – Is your life lacking steamy moments? Then give this app a try! Once installed it simulates steam on your screen that is so life-like you’ll think you’re in the shower.
3. SimStapler – Tired of coworkers borrowing your stapler? Never be without your trusty Swingline again as this app simulates using a stapler.
4. Cow Toss – This app elevates cow tipping to cow tossing. Being located in America’s heartland and having grown up on a cattle farm, this app had to make my list.
5. iNap@Work – Simulate the sound of a busy office complete with the noise of a keyboard typing, mouse clicking and paper shuffling. The only sound this app does not simulate is the voice of your boss saying, “You’re fired!” once you’re caught using this app.
My research turned up countless apps that I would classify as unusual or useless, but there are many innovative, useful apps in the marketplace as well. Here are 5 apps you may want to check out:
1. WorldCard – Tired of rifling through your stack of business cards in search of a contact? Use this app to scan the information from your business cards by taking a photo of them. The information is stored in your contact list where it can be organized and categorized.
2. LinkedIn – Keep in touch with your professional network while on the go.
3. Box – Never be without your important documents again! This app allows you to access and share files from any computer even if you’re offline.
4. 1Password – With so many passwords to manage for various account log-ins, it’s easy to forget one now and again. Use this app to securely manage your passwords and log-in to any account with one quick tap of your finger.
5. Evernote – This note-taking app provides you with ultimate organization. Jot down your to-do list, take photos of receipts, even set up access to share your notes with coworkers, friends and family.
There are thousands of apps available – from fruitless to fun and functional. If you have a favorite you’d like to share, please post them here.