I am a huge planner. In fact, I typically have a plan of what I want to accomplish every single day. My family and friends probably don’t appreciate it because it can sometimes make me… less than flexible… but I love checking items off of my list. A plan also gives me focus and helps me stay motivated to keep working towards my goals.
Every business needs a marketing plan to keep them on track to reach their goals. Right now is a great time to take a look at what you’ve accomplished and what you still want to accomplish with your marketing for 2014 – there’s still time. (It’s also not too early to start working on 2015). We all get caught up in day-to-day activities, but take a little time to think about short and long-term goals and what needs to happen to achieve them. Here are a few benefits of having a marketing plan:
- It keeps the marketing efforts in-line with corporate goals.
- It helps you be proactive rather than reactive.
- It helps you determine if new opportunities are a fit with your goals.
- It gets the entire organization on the same page and gives direction.
- It helps you stay on budget.
- It helps you achieve success ad measure it.
Here’s how I think about it:
- What is my overall objective?
- What are my goals that will help me achieve my objective? Make them specific.
- What are my strategies – or what needs to be done to help me achieve my goals?
- Lastly, take action and work your plan.
Plan to be successful. You can make it happen!