Bringing Broadway to the Backwoods
OUTdrive Episode 103 with Quin Gresham
Arrow Rock is a village in central Missouri with a total population of 37. And, each year, more than 33,000 patrons travel to this community to enjoy Broadway-caliber productions at the Lyceum Theatre. Celebrating its 61st season in 2022, the Lyceum is one of Missouri’s oldest professional regional theatres. In this episode of OUTdrive, I sit down with Quin Gresham of the theatre’s leadership team to hear all the ways the Lyceum has been drawing crowds for over half a century.
Quin is the Producing Artistic Director at the historic Arrow Rock Lyceum Theatre. 2022 marks his 18th season in this role. During his career, he has directed over two-dozen productions at the Lyceum. On the other side of the curtain, Quin has been a frequent Company member at the Lyceum since 1999. With more than 20 years of acting experience, he has appeared in over 50 productions. Quin is a graduate of the Conservatory of Theatre Arts at Webster University in St. Louis, where he earned a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Acting.
The Lyceum’s 61st season opens on June 2. Tune into this episode for a full show run-down on 2022, and learn more about how the Lyceum went from a dilapidated church to the first theatre in the state to receive the “Missouri Historical Theatre” designation.
- 2:15 – Quin’s educational background and what inspired his career in acting
- 5:20 – Quin’s transition from acting to directing and how he ended up in Arrow Rock
- 7:30 – Quin’s role as Producing Artistic Director and his day-to-day responsibilities
- 10:00 – Quin describes the difference between a producing theater, like the Lyceum, and a presenting theater
- 14:00 – A short history and some lasting legacy notes about the Arrow Rock Lyceum Theatre
- 18:45 – Details and a show run-down on the fast-approaching 2022 season, opening on June 2 with Shrek the Musical
- 25:00 – How Quin goes about selecting the shows for each season
- 27:00 – Where someone can get more information on the Lyceum and buy tickets or take a tour of the theatre
- 30:15- Some of the ways the Lyceum staff is telling their story or attracting people to the theatre and shows
- 36:00 – How Quin got involved with the LEAD Institute and ultimately came to serve on their board
- 38:15 – Quin shares what he loves about living in mid-Missouri