OUTdrive Episode 85 with Ivy Reynolds
When it comes to creating content, the sports world is blazing the trail. High-quality videos and graphics on social media are a huge part of a program’s communication and marketing strategy, and other industries should be taking note. In this episode of OUTdrive, I chat with Callis account executive and OUTdrive podcast manager, Ivy Reynolds, about her time working in college athletics, content creation, and effective media channels.
In her role as an account executive at Callis & Associates, Ivy works directly with clients to manage branding projects, develop marketing strategies and create content. She also manages and produces the OUTdrive podcast each week. Ivy previously served as a sports information director at Butler University in Indianapolis. She worked directly with several programs during her time with the athletic department and served as a media relations contact for the 2016 and 2021 NCAA March Madness Tournaments. An Ozark, Missouri native, Ivy earned a degree in Mass Communications from Lindenwood University and was a member of the Lions volleyball team. She then went on to earn a Master’s in Sports Management at Missouri State University while playing beach volleyball for the Bears.
Tune into this episode of OUTdrive for insight on the college sports industry, podcast management, and content creation. Whether you’re producing a podcast, creating social media posts, or generating website content, this episode is for you.
- 3:15 – Ivy’s background and her journey to Callis through college to sports information to marketing.
- 7:00 – Ivy talks about the pace of college athletics and the pursuit of finding work-life balance
- 9:30 – Cliff and Ivy discuss her dream job as a sideline sports reporter and the opportunity to stay in the sports broadcasting world
- 12:00 – Ivy outlines the communications strategies the Butler Athletics department utilized from a marketing perspective
- 16:20 – Cliff and Ivy discuss the new NCAA policy that allows student-athletes to make money off their name and likeness and the future of influencer marketing
- 19:00 – Ivy explains her role within the Butler sports information department
- 21:00 – Ivy describes the challenges from transitioning from athletic communications to marketing
- 24:45 – Ivy shares what she enjoys about her role as an account executive and what her typical day looks like
- 30:45 – Cliff and Ivy discuss what all goes into producing a weekly podcast and some of the challenges they’ve had to overcome.
- 37:45 – Ivy talks about the difference between living in rural America vs. the city
- 41:15 – Ivy offers her advice to other young professionals who are stepping into their careers or making job changes