OUTdrive Episode 70 with Wendy Loges
The State Fair is an annual celebration of Missouri agriculture and related industries. Within that celebration, there is an ongoing mission to foster success in future farmers and industry leaders. One of the organizations that provides support for that mission is the Missouri State Fair Foundation. For this episode, I sat down with executive director Wendy Loges to learn about some of the youth events, programs, and advancements the Foundation organizes during the 11-day fair.
The Missouri State Fair Foundation is a charitable non-profit, member-based organization that supports the Missouri State Fair in resource development and cultivating the future of agriculture through preservation, education, and improvements to the fairgrounds. As the Executive Director, Wendy is one of two full-time individuals that make up the Foundation staff and is part of a 9-member executive board. A majority of the foundation events and programs are made possible by hundreds of volunteers and membership partners.
Tune in to this episode of OUTdrive as we continue our “Live from the Fair” series, and find out why the Foundation is so much more than just the organization that sells water at the fair – it’s crucial to the future success of the Missouri State Fair and Missouri agriculture.
- Wendy’s role and the role of the Foundation as a whole during the 11-days of the fair.
- How Wendy’s background in education and youth livestock exhibition led her to the position of executive director.
- Wendy gives an assessment of the 2021 fair and some of her highlights from this year, including the Foundation gala, first time exhibitor grants and the No-Limits P.I.G Show.
- The story behind the Foundation’s book signing of “Satchel Paige at the State Fair,” written by Linda Paige Shelby, daughter of the Hall of Fame pitcher.
- What Wendy loves about the Missouri State Fair and her passion for youth livestock exhibition
- Wendy’s advice for someone who has never attended the State Fair
- Cliff and Wendy share marketing insights on the Missouri Bicentennial tie in to the 2021 fair.
- The Foundation’s outlook on the 2022 state fair, from new partnerships, creation of an endowment, and the 100th anniversary of the swine barn.
- Wendy talks through what the Missouri State Fair Foundation does year-round and highlights some upcoming events
- Information on how to become a member of the Foundation and the different levels available.
- Significant contributions that the foundation has invested in to help with improvements and preservation of the fairgrounds