OUTdrive Episode 128 with Brian Sowers
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime.” There are very few things you can do throughout your whole life, but fishing is one of them. And, there is hardly a better place to do it than here in Missouri. In this episode of OUTdrive, I had the chance to visit with Brian Sowers to talk about all the things Crappie Masters is doing to reach youth, amateur, and professional anglers, alike.
Brian is the emcee and USA Tournament Director for Crappie Masters, the nation’s premier crappie fishing tournament trail. As the National Tournament Director for 2022, he was the voice of the Crappie Masters All-American Tournament Trail, Crappie USA Tournament Trail, and King Kat Tournament Trail. Prior to his current gig, he hosted a radio show for KMMO in Marshall. And, for 11 days out of the year, Brian can be found on the Missouri State Fairgrounds as the emcee for the annual Missouri State Fair parade and Military Flag Retreat Ceremony.
This is one honey hole of an episode you don’t want to miss. Tune in to hear Brian share his best fishing stories, details on Crappie Masters and fishing tournament trails, and ways to get involved in the sport’s educational pieces.
- 2:00 – Brian shares what makes fall the best fishing time of the year
- 3:15 – Brian summarizes how he got to where he is today in his role with Crappie Masters
- 5:20 – Brian’s background in radio and how he got started
- 8:00 – Where Brian’s love and passion for fishing began
- 8:45 – Brian outlines the Crappie Masters organization and tournament trail
- 12:00 – Details on membership to participate in tournaments and where someone could find more information
- 12:45 – Brian talks about Crappie Masters TV, streaming, and social media presence
- 14:15 – The educational component to Crappie Masters, Crappie USA, and American Crappie Trail (ACT)
- 17:30 – The difference between recreational fishing and tournament fishing
- 19:00 – Other ways and marketing strategies Crappie Masters is doing to get their message out to anglers or potential tournament members
- 22:15 – Brian shares his advice for becoming a better Crappie fisherman
- 24:15 – Brian’s thoughts on what it takes to be successful in a radio career
- 27:00 – Brian’s path to taking on the emcee role for the Missouri State Fair parade and flag retreat
- 29:00 – Brian’s favorite part about the fair
- 30:45 – Places Brian has seen throughout his fishing travels and what he really loves about Missouri
- 33:45 – Details about some of the ag commodity groups that serve as sponsors on the Crappie Masters trail and how to get in contact with Brian on becoming a sponsor
- 37:00 – Brian shares his top Crappie Masters fishing stories
- 41:00 – Brian’s closing thoughts on getting outdoors and getting the most out of life