OUTdrive Episode 79 with Jack Kempton
Everyone starts somewhere. For those who are well into their career, that statement might take you back to your humble beginnings. For those taking the first steps in their career, like our guest in this episode, they are right in the middle of that somewhere. In this episode of OUTdrive, I had the chance to sit down with a young man attacking the sales world armed with a sport coat and ambition.
Jack Kempton is a licensed insurance agent for Country Financial in Kansas City. Although he has only been in his current role for about six months, Jack grew up in a family business environment that helped set him up for success. Jack studied Business at the University of Missouri which led to his first job in the insurance industry at Bankers Life in Columbia. A Sedalia native, Jack frequently visits the area for work and can be seen at community events or out on the golf course.
Tune into this episode for a chance at a fresh perspective. Jack and I discuss the challenges young professionals are facing today, refining sales and marketing processes, and, of course, how it all ties into his rural American roots.
- 2:45 – What it was like for Jack growing up in a family business environment.
- 4:45 – Jack’s current role at Country Financial and his primary service areas
- 6:00 – Jack describes his favorite part of the job and the community involvement that comes with his role.
- 7:15 – Cliff and Jack discuss the difference between sales and marketing, and assess client and customer needs.
- 9:00 – Jack gives some background information on Country Financial, a national organization, and the services they offer.
- 12:30 – Jack outlines his unorthodox path to the insurance industry
- 15:00 – Jack describes what rural America means to him
- 16:30 – Cliff and Jack talk about the challenges a young professional faces at the beginning of a career path
- 18:15 – Jack gives industry insight and shares his advice for those starting out in business with a 30-point check system.
- 25:45 – Cliff and Jack discuss how the simple characteristics of being respectful and caring can go a long way in customer relations.
- 31:15 – Jack highlights some of his heroes and mentors from the past and present.
- 33:15 – What Jack would tell his younger self to focus on to set the path he is on today.