The Path Less Traveled
OUTdrive Episode 93 with Rob Hughes
Some of us chose our own paths in life. For others, the path is chosen for us. And if you’re Rob Hughes, the senior minister at Broadway Church in Sedalia, Missouri, the path will call you to ministry after years of working in a completely unrelated career field. In this episode of OUTdrive, I sit down with Rob to talk about his unorthodox journey from the glitz of the West Coast film industry to a pulpit in the Midwest.
Rob has been the lead pastor and head of staff for nine years, following a nine-year stint serving in ministry in the Denver, Colorado area. Prior to his calling to ministry, Rob spent 15 years working on a variety of projects as a producer, editor, and director for National Geographic, Disney, Rocky Mountain PBS, and others. In addition to church ministry, Rob also serves as a chaplain for the Sedalia Police Department, a Commissioner for the Synod of Mid-Missouri, and is a member of the Pettis County Ministerial Association. Rob earned his Master of Divinity from Denver Seminary and studied film and communications at the University of California at Santa Barbara.
The local church has always been a pillar of small-town communities. Tune in to hear about the rewards, the challenges, and the revelations that come with leading a church staff and congregation in today’s world.
- 3:00 – Rob’s background growing up in Southern California and how it shaped his original career path into the film industry
- 7:15 – Rob explains what he thinks makes a great video
- 8:15 – Cliff and Rob discuss the use of video in church services and the progression of video clips that suit the diminishing attention span of today’s audiences
- 12:10 – Rob takes Cliff through his unorthodox journey into ministry
- 19:20 – Rob shares what he loves about his job as a pastor – collaborating with members and staff
- 21:45 – Rob and Cliff discuss the impact of the pandemic on churches
- 25:00 – Rob describes the difference in pace and humanity between rural America and major cities
- 28:40 – Rob shares the origin story of One Track Train and future plans for the band
- 33:30 – Rob talks about using technology to communicate with the congregation and to attract new potential members to the church
- 36:40 – Rob and Cliff discuss treating the church as a small business and the need for a marketing mindset
- 42:45 – Rob shares his closing thoughts on making the case for the local church and for God’s existence in today’s world