OUTdrive Episode 110 with Megan Hartman
What makes a great marketer? Someone who is strategic? Yes. Detail-oriented? Absolutely. Asks good questions? Certainly! All of these skills are part of the equation, but they also need to be business savvy. A great marketer should be able to look at the client’s business as a whole, see marketing as a piece of it, and then identify how it can better fit into the puzzle. In this episode of OUTdrive, I sit down with Callis President, Megan Hartman, to discuss how her business and entrepreneurial DNA helped build the foundation for a career in marketing.
Megan was recently named President and a partner in Callis & Associates. Megan began her career at Callis as an account manager and went on to serve in a number of account roles over the last 10 years. Prior to Callis, Megan started her business career at BluCurrent Credit Union, managing day-to-day operations of all branches. A Pettis County native and Northwest alum, Megan pursued earned a degree in business from Missouri State University. She is actively involved in the community as part of the Sedalia-Pettis County United Way board, the Bothwell Foundation Wear Red event, the Women’s Service League, and the CVB board. Megan lives in Sedalia with her husband and two daughters.
Tune into this episode to hear how Megan brings a methodical approach and business mindset to leading the Callis team and ensuring our clients are successful in their marketing efforts.
- 2:00 – Megan’s background growing up in the Sedalia area
- 3:00 – Cliff and Megan talk about her decision to leave the area to attend college at Missouri State and pursue a degree in business
- 5:30 – Megan and Cliff speak to her new role as president of the agency and how that impacts her day-to-day
- 7:30 – Megan and Cliff share what makes a good account executive and how someone could get in contact with Callis
- 12:00 – Megan shares some takeaways from the Build a Better Agency Conference, put on by the Agency Management Institute (AMI)
- 15:15 – Megan talks about some of the creative projects she’s been involved with at the agency over the last 10 years and shares a few that stand out to her
- 18:30 – Megan describes the relationship Callis has with the Missouri State Fair as their marketing partner and what the agency enjoys about working on that account
- 22:00 – Megan outlines some of the marketing strategies and emerging media she’s seeing that have been the most effective
- 24:30 – Megan explains why developing personas is one of the most important parts of a business’ marketing plan
- 27:00 – Megan shares what led her to be involved in a number of community organizations
- 28:45 – Megan describes what rural America means to her